Search This Blog

Thursday, June 11, 2009

I Am Dr. Tiller

New website expressing solidarity with Dr. George Tiller: http://iamdrtiller.com/

If you haven't heard the story, please visit http://www.democracynow.org and search through its recent coverage.

“Until one understands the heart of a woman, nothing else about abortion makes any sense at all.” -Dr. George Tiller

I was inspired when I heard that one of Dr. Tiller's colleagues had pledged publicly to continue providing late-term abortions. I have never been a pro-choice activist, but I am strongly considering becoming one in light of this horrible crime. While I object to calling the killer a "terrorist," I think that his goals were clear: He wanted to strike fear in the hearts of anyone who would dare perform an abortion in America by killing one of the country's most prominent abortionists. Fortunately I believe he and his cohorts will fail in this goal. This action has already sparked new debate over abortion, debate that is likely to continue until the anti-abortion-inspired violence is widely condemned.

As I listen to Dr. Warren Hern, director of the Boulder Abortion Clinic, call anti-abortion activists "terrorists" who would support or direct the killing of doctors like himself, I cringe because I know deep in my heart that upping the rhetoric on either side will not help this volatile situation. Why not refuse to acknowledge these violent elements (appealing to non-violent anti-abortion activists instead) and/or attempt reconciliation (where feasible)? To respond in fear or in hate/anger will not change the situation in favor of peace. I know the risk is great, but now is the time to stand up for the rights of women and abortion doctors and supporters. We must refuse to be intimidated or conquered by anger and dare to be compassionate for even the most violent of opponents. Let the dialogue begin.

No comments: