Search This Blog

Thursday, December 25, 2008

Happy Holidays!

I didn't call this post "Merry Christmas" because I want to appeal to all faith traditions and those without faith traditions. The intent of the decision was not to wage a "war on Christmas" (phrase coined by FOX News, I believe). In fact, I must say that despite the rampant consumerism (which I battled against by writing a book and producing it as an all-inclusive Christmas present) that Christmas has come to symbolize and the corporate domination of what was once a more modest, personal celebration, Christmas must be cherished for all its splendor. How often do people come together like they do on Christmas? How often do people have the urge to write loving letters and e-mails to their friends all over the world? How often do people feel as charitable as they do on Christmas? I know that last year I had a desire to fly down to New Orleans and stand in front of bulldozers that were set to demolish public housing units that homeless citizens desperately needed. This year I want to stop every foreclosure in Baltimore. The good news is that the city has declared a moratorium for the holidays. It's not enough, but it's a start.

I was truly touched when I read that two Baltimore detectives did what was "morally right" by refusing to evict a 78-year-old woman on Christmas Eve. Every once in a while I find a nugget of goodness in the media's usual appetite for violence and celebrities.

At a time when church attendance has skyrocketed, I attended the Christmas Eve night mass at St. Ignatius. I must say that there is nothing more beautiful on this earth than hearing a well-rehearsed choir sing "Oh, Holy Night." It put me at peace for a precious few minutes. How can a peacemaker ever be at peace for long when the world is constantly at war? And never mind the world, what if his own household doubles as a battlefield in times of stress (such as Christmas)? Is anyone spared?

Now it's 4:15 a.m., and I can't seem to be able to "sleep in heavenly peace." I know I could if I had my beloved beside me. I will have to conjure her up just as we conjure up Santa Claus to bring us the contents of our wildest dreams.

No comments: